Sunday, April 06, 2008

Wilson Prom- I survived pt.1

I arrived back in Melbourne about 6 weeks ago. I was here 4 years ago for 2 years before transferring to Malaysia Monash University. Well, nothing much has changes. Although adapting to the Melbournian’s way may not be that much of a challenge anymore, it does take time.

Some to note is regarding the weather. I was in northern china for 2 months for homestay and traveling, but being born and breed in a tropical country, chill has always been an issue… :p

Last week, I went and joined MBOC, Monash Bushwalking Club who plans to go to Wilson Promontory National Park for hiking. 4 days and 3 nights. I will save introduction part and the goodies for later.

But I have never done any overnight hiking and I have not much idea on the hiking plan except that we will do camping for 3 nights and the walk is a full 4 days.

The first day, we drove 3 hours to get to the site and after being brief, what I was thinking is “bring it on, I’ll handle it”…. (was not really sure of the going, but daily 20km sounds like an easy 3-4hours walk for me)…. If I can run 20km non stop in 2.5 hours.. aint a good problem at all…

Well… ! obviously I was wrong.

I have never packed 15-20 kg and walk more than 10 minutes before.

5 minutes after we started, we walked inclined for a FULL 1 hour Under the RAIN with 15-20kg pack on the back and a freezing cold 13 degree temperature and super “breeze” rain.

Half way, the guy reminded me, “this is the condition that you may get hypothermia because it is windy, its very cold and you are wet cold”. “symptoms is, if you feel dizzy, something funny on your brain and walks wobbly, do tell us”.

I was not trained for this and the rain was just getting worse and worse. after 1hour +15 minutes, we arrived at Mt. Oberon parking lot. Still raining, drop our pack and start hiking the mountain for another 1 hour. their walking pace starts to make me exhausted. I was dizzy, extremely tired, and really gotten the bite of cold because my pants are wet with my head.


when we reached the top, It was undoubtedly worth it. the view is AMAZING, but the wind and cold has started to bite my bones. another 30 mins to walk back down, well the rain hasn't shown its mercy yet.


arrived back at the carpark, i put on another layer of jumper. and I have started to shiver.

My mind kept shouting and whining, and telling me "this is not your stuff, you'are not training for this, what if you are sick, you are not used to the cold and weight!!, just go back and rent a cottage wait for them for 3 days",... this sound is something i knew i should not listen to say out, but it kept telling me and I know i was a wimp.


Deep in me, i kept walking, silent and keep walking. another 16km to our Camp site for tonight. The walk is easy moderate and we have to lift our pack all the way.

I can feel my shoulder felt as heavy as the mountain and my hips has bruised all over from the waist clip. I kept thinking of " THERE ARE STILL 4 more days, are you sure you want to do this".........

Still i was silent, and the rain kept on pouring.

Within the next 3.5 hours, we reached the beach side. I have to taken off my shoes to cross the river to get to the camp site. and walk 200m barefooted into the jungle afterward. the rain has started to thin out. it was 6.30 pm.


We found a spot, and built our tent on the wet ground and i have never felt hungrier in my life than that day. I can eat anything including uncooked pasta.

The best part is not over yet, i have no idea my backpack is not water resistant. So,... guess what,... EVERYTHING is WET. socks, undies, clothes and its cotton material.. so there is no way i can dry it.


Well as you know,.. NO shower, no new pants, no new underwear, no new jumper, no new towel NOTHING FOR THE NEXT 4 days. and i have to sleep with my smelly wet clothes hehe.. not ONLY for tonight.. oh... fuck it... hahaha...


Things started to pile up and all i can do is to smile over my misfortunate, look at the sky and say "nice try there, aint gonna break me down"......

I kept quiet but deeper inside me i kept saying " Just walk ,........ After tomorrow, it will be too late for you to go back... by then, those whiner will die off because to go back is as bad as going forward... "


At least i have the sleeping bag dry ALTHOUGH.. again, i cannot zip it haha,.. i think after what i have had, it was not that much of a big deal anymore despite a super cold rainy night.


I had a warm seafood marinara cooked pasta for diner,... its a mess but nothing beats the taste at my current condition...


Woke up in the morning, i was told the walk is going to be easier today, but looking at the rain that keeps pouring, everyone's spirit has been like the "cracker" being hit by the water... ESPECIALLY MINE... hahaha


the tent base was not water resistant... so,.. yes another great news... the sleeping bag is partially wet and my socks is wet... not to mention my runner....


we pack by noon as rain has not stopped and walk to Little waterloo bay for our next camp stop.


another tough day, blister on my feet , hips, cold with a better state of mind.


second half was real tough walk, up and down hill....rain stopped in the afternoon briefly but having a cotton cloth means a bad luck.


at night, when we had to wash dishes... the water is phewwww.... super cold hahaha....


Arrived early, we hang our tent, clothes, sleeping bag to then wait on the beach for 2 hours.... no cellphone, no sms, just you,... waves and sea breeze....


we had pasta again... well for all dinner... a veggie pasta... and lie on the sand afterward to hunt for falling stars.


Still it rains, not as bad as yesterday...

Third day, my mind was solid. no more whining. the walk was tougher, still no shower and same smelly semi-dry cloth... =)


walked for 19km today to Roaring Meg camp site zapped in 6 hours. then jimmy had his misfortunate when he torn his sleeping bag. ( we didnt sleep that well, .... and honest we cannot really sleep hahaha)...


arriving there we ran down to South Point (the most southern tip of australian continent). he ran with such a speed he got a hit on his knee.... i was hit too... blister on my right food and knee injury on my left.

we climb down the hill about 4 meters down and along the big stones on the sea shore.... it was cool... it was frightening coz when i look up, i kept saying "shit,.. fuck, how da hell am i gonna go back up".. i was fucking foolish...

Plus my knee was trembling, it was shit scared to go down and climb up... hahaha...


well.. Made it.

The last day, first half was easy,.. not much of a hard hiking good for our wimpy leg while packs are alot lighter now.

after lunch,... we were walking against the 80km/hour wind + sand along the beach. a 500m feels like 5km.guess what... THE BEST YET TO BE OVER... god refuse to go easy on ur.. hahaha..

Rain... falls... this time is super wonderful rain with 60km/h wind and you can feel it pinch your lips even when you're hiding behind your rain coat. ah... passing through the "squeeky sand beach" is the most memorable...

wet all over again and the sand of the beach was so soft that your feet dipped for 10-15cm each step.. I can feel the sands inside my real wet shoes... and hear the squeek squeek every step i had. One in my mind.. " this is the last few hours...., fuck it.. is this all you've got? hehehe.....


in an hour.. we reached "civilization"...... had a stupid shower at a toilet with about 50 worms in it never feels better... hot chocolate and chips... is HEAVEN!!!!


When i was back, there are only 2 words in my head that keeps playing,.... " I SURVIVED!!!"


and a silly big smile..................




2 comments:

90.4° said...

1 word. just 1 word. WOW!!!!

Anonymous said...

U SURVIVED ! =)